The first meeting of the Transport group was held virtually in March 2020. From the meeting, the following were identified as priority areas:
- It can be too dangerous and difficult to cross the A429 on the National cycle highway, Blicks Hill to Milbourne, due to fast traffic, especially for children going to and from school.
- Could the old railway line be re-opened for cycling to and from Great Somerford to Malmesbury?
- The interconnectivity and quality/ quantity of footpaths and cycleways in Malmesbury and to and from surrounding villages could be much improved.
- There is a lack of electric car charging options in Malmesbury.
- Can there be a bus service linking Malmesbury and Tetbury?
- Can transport service information accessibility be improved?
- Could we use existing bus infrastructure to take local passengers, perhaps on empty return/outward journeys?
As of June 2020, the groups first priorities have been to identify cycle infrastructure upgrade opportunities that link Malmesbury with it’s wider town/parish network, retail opportunities, local schools and attractions such as Westonbirt Arboretum, in order to present proposals to grant opportunities such as the Post Covid-19 cycle package.
Next stages will be to…
- Present these drafts to the Area Board (on the wider Malmesbury-Parish/Town/Village linkage plans), Planning and Environment committee of the Town Council (for the intra-Malmesbury plans)
- Engage wider stakeholders include our local community, the local River Valleys Trust and our colleagues at Dyson
- Apply for Post Covid 19 grant opportunities
Take a look at our latest meeting minutes here: