I hope you’re keeping well.
Please find updates below from our work streams. If you are interested in joining any of these work streams please do get in touch so I can pass along your details. It would be wonderful to have more active members join to help build a more sustainable Malmesbury & to help push these fantastic projects along!
- The Community Energy stream continues to investigate a number of potential avenues including the feasibility of launching the Chippenham PV solar scheme in SN16 area, EV charging points in car parks, where and how to increase solar generation (contacting Community Energy Hub about virtual grids, sources of funding from Zero Chippenham, community owned batteries and ERIC project by Good Energy) and the possibility of looking at Church buildings as a host for solar panels, as inspired by work at Sailsbury Cathedral.
- The horticulturists on the team are finalising the tree choices to add to the two existing apple trees at the Activity Zone. They are in the process of agreeing with the council and Activity Zone maintenance team how to look after the plot. They have also been working hard developing a new logo & have some exciting announcements coming up with regards to new opportunities as a result of receiving some funding. They are joining the Slow Food movement, as they share goals. Further planting is planned for after the current lockdown ends so keep your eyes peeled over the next few months. Keep up with the team on Facebook or via their website.
- Sadly, the launch of the new Repair Cafe which was due to take place on 21st November had to be postponed due to the new lockdown measures. The team held the event virtually via their Facebook (again please do like/follow to keep up to date with all their news) and have plans to launch a temporary online repair cafe there until the launch in the new year. If you’d like to know more, have items that need repairing or you’d like to volunteer your time as a repairer, please do email them – firstname.lastname@example.org. For those of us on Instagram, find them here @repaircafemalmesbury. I’ve attached the flyer for the 21st (although now out of date) for your information.
- The MCAN committee are in the process of organizing an exciting film screening & post-film community conversation happening virtually in early December. Please do keep an eye on for further information from us about this, but we hope to see you all there.
- For our school aged activists, local company Good Energy are seeking young people aged 12-18 to form their new “Good Future Board” – https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/blog/2020/11/24/seeking-board-members-must-be-school-age/ Looks like a cracking opportunity!
- For those who are interested in linking up with other environmental projects across the county, Wiltshire Climate Alliance is doing some brilliant work bringing groups together and lobbying Wiltshire Council. Sign up to their newsletter here
- Elsewhere in the county, we’ve heard from several colleagues and have seen local press pick up on the fight against the new incinerator planned for Westbury. Our understanding is that the plans for a gasification plant had been scrapped and plans for an open grate incinerator are now favoured. 60% of the waste feed will be from outside the county. It is expected to release 250,000 tonnes of C02 into the atmosphere. There is a need to raise awareness of this issue and we urge those with concerns to write their objections to Councilors/MPS/Leader of Wiltshire Council. Find out more here.
- Finally, we have been asked to pass along the details of a virtual Coffee Morning being held this Saturday 28th 10.30am-noon to shape the environment and climate policy of our local Liberal Democrat candidates. Please find attached the draft copy of this element of the manifesto. They are looking for thoughts and feedback on what people like, don’t like and other elements they believe should be included and hope for this kind of feedback at the event. If you’d like to be involved, please do email me so I can pass along your details to the event organisers.
Sharing is caring so please do forward this email to anyone in your networks who would like to keep up to date with all things environmentally related in Malmesbury!
Otherwise, we hope you all keep well and stay safe.
Malmesbury Climate Action Network team