I hope that you and your families are safe and well.
A few updates from MCAN…
We were thrilled to welcome Professor Waltham on 15th June – many thanks of you who came along virtually to the talk. We are working on adding his talk to our website so that it can be enjoyed at any time. We will let you know when this has been done.
There is much progress happening within our work streams.
- The Transport Group are looking for the community to map out their priorities for improvements for the cycle and pedestrian routes between Parishes and Malmesbury and also within Malmesbury. If you are aware of a route, or believe there should be better linkages, we would be grateful if you could please take a screenshot and using a tool like Paint or Mark Up on a iPhone, map this out for us, so we can start compiling a picture of the priority areas.
- In addition, there is work being carried out in Sherston, with a proposal to improve the signage on the Foxley Road as a way of encouraging more cycling between Sherston and Malmesbury. Find out more here and fill out the questionnaire here
- The Resource Sharing Groupare looking for feedback to see whether a borrow shop is something you’d like to see in Malmesbury. They have a fantastic website which will tell you a little more about the plans. Please find the questionnaire for feedback here (less than 3mins long)
- Did you know that Fruitful Malmesburyhave developed an interactive map – areas within Malmesbury where there are trees/bushes producing fruit? Find out more here
- The project lead of the Community Energy group has also been having productive conversations with Lesley Bennet, Chair at Wiltshire Wildlife Community Energy. More to come on this soon.
- Did you know that Malmesbury has a youth green group? Back For The Future has paused meeting during covid, but the three young environmentalists who inspired the formation of the group have a fantastic website with tips, tricks, ideas and interviews. If you have young friends/relatives, please do point them in the direction of their website as the girls have lots of big ideas.
There have been many conversations, webinars, articles and campaigns covering how we can use this time to build a greener, fairer society. Many thanks to those in the network who shared these resources with us.
A few suggestions for practical actions/readings you might find interesting…
- Head of Oceans at Greenpeace, Will McCallum gave this talk on how to give up plastic.
- A Green Recovery in North Wiltshire
- UK citizens’ climate assembly backs green pandemic recovery and lifestyle shif
Finally, we are still working on a radio show for the Community Radio – please do get in touch with your tips and tricks. We are also looking for people within the community to sit down with a member of the MCAN committee to talk about any/all sustainability/climate related issues – from vegetable planting to green recoveries. Please shout if this is you!
Do keep your resources and articles coming in for me to share.