Each month, we try to send an email out to the wider network about the progress of the sub-groups, as well as other resources (such as webinars, festivals and articles that they may be interested in). Here is a copy of the May Email update – we hope you enjoy!
I hope that you and your families are safe and well.
A few updates from MCAN…
While we continue to work on the climate network here in Malmesbury (albeit a bit more slowly than pre-covid), we can use this time to push for change.
There have been many conversations, webinars, articles and campaigns covering how we can use this time to build a greener, fairer society. Many thanks to those in the network who shared these resources with us. We wanted to highlight a few of them here.
A few suggestions for practical actions you might want to get involved in…
- A Sustainable Online Festival 11-15th May, with free inspirational webinars and sessions to encourage you to live more sustainably: https://www.asustainablelife.co.uk/the-sustainableish-online-festival/
- Petition to let Rishi Sunak know how important it is that any public support offered to the aviation industry ensures workers and our planet are put first re. airline bailouts: https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/s/no-free-airline-bailout?source=EM&subsource=ECCLPLPEEM0255&utm_source=gpeace&utm_medium=EM&utm_campaign=ECCLPLPEEM0255
- Surfers Against Sewage ‘Return to Offenders’ digital campaign
- Webinar: Global Green New Deal: “Into the Portal, Leave No One Behind” https://www.globalgnd.org/into-the-portal-webinar/
Some fantastic articles for further reading (again recommended by others in the network)…
- The public supports action to combat climate change as we recover from this crisis: https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/two-thirds-britons-believe-climate-change-serious-coronavirus-and-majority-want-climate-prioritised
- A Green New Deal must be central to resilient Covid-19 recovery
- Support for global climate action from Tory MP, chair of COP26 and Business Secretary, Alok Sharma: https://iuenergy.co.uk/alok-sharma-focus-has-not-stopped-on-global-climate-action/
- Lessons we should be learning from New Zealand: https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2020/apr/23/covid-19-crisis-reset-economies-sustainable-footing
Finally, I am hoping to pull together a show for Malmesbury Community Radio, talking about our Climate Action Network – what we’ve been up to so far, what our plans are and so on. I would love to hear from anyone in the network who would like to contribute to the show or has any ideas for topics that we can tackle – whether that’s short spoken pieces (why we should be concerned about the climate, why community action is important, top tips/tricks etc), poetry readings, pro-environmental/pro-action song choices etc. All ideas and contributions gratefully received!
Do keep your resources and articles coming in for me to share.